Skip to main content

5 Powerful Saving Money Tips From My Father

My father is a good role model for me about personal financing. He is not a millionaire. Not a formal educated person without Phd, Master, Degree or even SPM.  His income is not very high but he manage to raise me and my 11 siblings. We get proper education because of him. He is never in bad debt. He managed to perform Hajj at age 30 with my mother,  a few years later supporting my late grandmother and late  grandfather to perform the Hajj too. Those are very strong reasons to make him my role model.

But what is his secret?

Last Raya Puasa he share a few tips on how to save money. There are many tips shared by him. However in this post I'm going to put 5 tips that I think very powerful!


5 Powerful Saving Money Tips From My Father


  1. Focus on what you need not what you want - He said to me that everytime you want to buy something, always ask yourself. Do I need to buy this one?  Do I really need? If not then postpone it. Find something that your really need to buy. 
  2. Pay yourself first and forget about it - During his younger day he always pay himself first. He is a shopkeeper, so everyday when he calculate the income he always put some portion aside into separate account and 'forget' about it. He said that if let say my income is RM2000 a month and I pay yourself RM200 , my income is not RM2000 but RM1800. Whatever budget must be based on this RM1800. This is what he means by pay and forget.
  3. If you have one child, allocate for two, if you have two, allocate for three - This is the secret on how he managed to raise me and my siblings. By doing this, the money is already prepared for the future. You will be jealous knowing that, I already having some money allocated for me even 2 years before I was born! I want to do the same for my second child!
  4. You have some bad habit or hobby? Make budget for it too -  He had a bad habit of spending time at cofee shop playing checker with his friends. He included that into the budget too! He put RM5 daily for his habit. 
  5. Pay yourself for something bad that you DID NOT do -  Pay yourself as an encouragement for not doing bad thing. My father save aside RM0.20-RM0.50 everyday for not smoking. 

My father always advise me and my eldest brother ( note: usually only both of us like to ask about this kind of topic) to be wise in spending money. He was aware that nowadays, the situation are very challenging and its not as easy as before. 

So what do you think? 
  1. Which one is your favorite tips? 
  2. What your father/mother teach you about money? 

Comments

  1. I love this entry. And yes, your father made it through his experiences with determination to survive. Have you ever read Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad, Poor Dad? He mentioned the second point - pay yourself first. Personally, I love the 1st point because that's what I'd do when I go for shopping. Insha Allah I would love to try #3-#5. My parents encouraged me to save some money since I was in primary school. However, just recently I learned more from my husband - never save, but invest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Yes I do read the Rich Dad Poor Dad, sadly a friend borrowed the book and never return it. 

    That is a great tips from your husband! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am so glad to see some tips on how to save money for our future. It does really helpful for us especially young people on how to save and spend money wisely. Your dad has done a really good job. He is not much educated but yet he is able to raise you all and perform Hajj at a very young age. We all should give him a big hand, I really admire him. I will remember what he said and always apply those tips into my daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Iphone 4S is My Gadget Impian

My Gadget Impian is iPhone 4S. In this blog post I'm going to tell you why I want iPhone 4S. 1. SIRI The main reason why I want this iPhone 4S is because of SIRI. Yes that virtual assistant, secretary called SIRI. I am using Galaxy Ace, I tried out the Speaktoit assistant which I think is pretty cool. I want to know SIRI too. Processing voice is harder compared to text processing. You can say that I am in love with this technology. SIRI vs Speaktoit Assitant Video 2. Better photo My friend @HafeezHana - a photographer said that in term of graphic Iphone is a better compared to other smartphone products. I like taking random photograph using my Galaxy Ace. Maybe with iPhone 4S I can take better photo. Taken using Galaxy Ace 3. Because of the late Steve Jobs iPhone 4S also can stand for iPhone for Steve. Steve Jobs inspired many - including me. Here I am going to share again my favorite Steve Jobs speech. It will be nice to have a product by inspi

Curi Gambar Anak untuk menang Contest

Terima kasih kepada twitterer @kuee, kaalu tak saya tentu tak tahu tentang benda nie.  Terkejut sebenarnya bila baca post tu. Shock ! Memang blank sekejap sebab tak sangka betul boleh jadi macam tu. Ukh.. semuanya semata-mata untuk menang contest.  Ini dia excerpt post dari mangsa: SOME STUPID MOTHER WHO HAS STOLEN MAYA'S PICTURE JUST FOR THE SAKE OF WINNING A CONTEST! AND WIN! PLEASE FRIENDS, PLEASE SPREAD THIS UNETHICAL ATTITUDE FOR THE TRUTH.. ITS MY DAUGHTER SHE IS CLAIMING!  . .. baca selanjutnya Boleh juga tengok blog mana yang buat scam tu kat sana. Malas nak indirectly promote blog tu kat sini. Sebenarnya inilah sebabnya saya tak pernah letak gambar-gambar personal online, inilah juga sebab saya tidak berfacebook dan juga tidak berfriendster, walaupun diajak berkali-kali oleh kawan-kawan lama. Oh.. saya ada join friendster, tapi gambar tak pernah saya letak. Lagi satu kalau boss nampak, macammana? Eh jangan salah sangka lak, gambar saya bukanya hensem sangat..

Menang Contest Review : Terima USD30 + Free Hosting daripada Wanmus

Sebelum Raya yang lepas saya ada dapat sedikit rezeki daripada Review Contest anjuran wanmus, sorang Internet Marketer tempatan. Dan saya ada menyebut yang saya akan buat post kat sini.Jadi post ini sebenarnya post membayar hutang. Review Post Contest Dalam contest tersebut saya dikehendaki membuat review terhadap salah satu post wanmus bertajuk: Blog PR0 & Baru 2 Hari Dah Dapat Payment? Alhamdulillah, dapat lah hadiah review terbaik. Jumlah sebanyak USD 30 dimasukkan kedalam akaun paypal saya. Terisi jugalah akaun paypal yang dah lama tak terisi.  Kalau anda takde akaun paypal cepat-cepatlah buat ye. Banyak juga contest-contest terutamanya contest oversea yang menawarkan duit melalui paypal. Boleh klik sini untuk register paypal. Selain itu saya turut memenangi hadiah berupa free 100MB hosting selama setahun daripada Jom Hosting juga kepunyaan wanmus. Thanks to my wife Sebenarnya saya pun tak sangka boleh menang, saya cuma cuba buat post dengan sejujur ya